With Informer 5, transforming raw data into meaningful information is easier than it’s ever been. With new, easy Flow Steps, Informer guides you through data preparation, cleansing, and transforming, with a few simple clicks.
In this example, I’ll show you how easy it is to take a zip code from a Dataset and turn it into coordinates for Google Map rendering. **I work in the marketing department here at Entrinsik and completed this workflow in under 5 minutes – with zero technical training or database expertise!
Workflow: Turning a zip code into lat. and lon. coordinates
- Access a Dataset that includes address fields, specifically a zip/postal code.
- Click “Edit” within the Dataset
- On the left hand side, click the plus sign beside “Flow Steps” to add a new workflow, then select “Add Field” and then “Zip2Geo.” See screenshot below:
- Name the new field whatever you like – it defaults to “Location.” Then select the Dataset field that contains the zip/postal code:
- Click “Done.” There should now be a new column in your Dataset – I kept mine labeled “Location.” Scroll over to locate this column, and if it does not include lat. & lon. numbers, you’ll need to configure the field. Just click the arrow beside the column name, then select “Change data type” and choose “Location.”
- Now just click “Run” and “Save,” in whatever order, and that’s it! If you already have a Google map created, just reconfigure it to use the new Location field, or use Informer’s Discover feature to create it for you.
- And of course you can configure the map to show different markers or zoom to a specific area. Don’t forget to click the Save icon if you want to keep it for later.
- Important Note: Because it’s using zip codes, these locations are approximate, not exact. To see the exact location/underlying data of a Location marker, zoom in on the map and click on a marker, then “View details.”
Then you can see the entire entry:
That’s it! A quick and easy Workflow that transforms data for use in an interactive Google Map visual. Want to see what other great things Informer 5 can do? Schedule a live demo by emailing email@example.com or calling 888-703-0016.